I am not a cook.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

I'm going to be moving to the southern United States soon, so I made some jambalaya:



2/3 lbs shrimp
1/2 lbs andouille sausage
3/4 cup long grain rice
1 can chicken broth (14 oz)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (14 oz)
1 large onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp tabasco
1/4 tsp crushed cayenne pepper
2 tbsp butter
salt & pepper

Stir fry shrimp and andouille sausage in a skillet. Drain fat and set aside. Melt butter in large skillet and cook onion, pepper and celery with salt and pepper until tender. Add garlic and cook a few more minutes. Add tomatoes, rice, chicken broth, thyme, bay leaves, cayenne pepper and tabasco. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low, simmering for 20 minutes until rice is cooked. Add shrimp and sausage, remove bay leaves, stir and serve.


I had no idea what to serve jambalaya with, so I made some fresh guacamole and served with that and tortilla chips.

7/10: This dish has quite a kick. Be careful with the cayenne pepper next time.

3 Comments:

  • hey austin, i can't find your email so i'm using the comment box instead. i wore the dress that we bought that day in doylestown on friday night. i went to a concert with a person who loves me, but who i do not love. its bittersweet, because i can't accept his emotions. i wish he didn't feel so deeply. i'm in a weird casual relationship now with another person, who i do not love either, and who doesn't love me back. instead, we spend insane amounts of time together and enjoy each other's company. its not stressful, because we're not in a committed relationship, its nice, but so different. i'm afraid i'll become attached to him. because he doesn't feel that he will become attached me to me. he's a fair bit older too. i guess i'm in a really conflicted place emotionally. heh, in a way, its also peaceful, because i'm not tied to anyone, but i am...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:18 PM  

  • That's a very pretty dress, I remember it. I'm glad to hear you've found some measure of peace, despite all the conflict. Some people find peace in relationships, I find it in food. ;-)

    By Blogger iamnotacook, at 4:10 PM  

  • HA! I found out where you're going to school bun.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home